I'm going down to florida for a Laparoscopic course for a couple days. I figure, can't hurt to get a different perspective, see how other guys are doing lap colons. A couple of random notes.
1. Data starting to come back on CT Colonoscopies. Kevin MD links to this. It will be interesting to see the backlash from our esteemed GI colleagues. Dare I say, turnabout is fair play? A general surgeon who has the gall to perform EGD's or colonoscopies is demonized by his/her local medical community and effectively is frozen out of any future colon CA consults. Virtual colonoscopy can potentially eliminate the need for routine screeening scopes. Seems best for the patient, as long as the literature supports the safety of such practice. But that means thousands of scopes come off the billing dockets of gastroenterologists. Surgeons didn't complain (too much) when we lost endoscopy. Very interesting to see how this plays out.
2. I got a consult for small bowel obstruction this morning. I read through the chart and GI was consulted the previous day for "bowel obstruction". Guess what Dr. GI recommended? Surgical evaluation. I just don't get it.
3. Bob Woodward's series of books on Bush/Iraq are a must read.
4. Indians against the Yanks tonight. I have a good feeling. Sabathia and Carmona trump anything the Bombers can put on the mound.
5. Friday Night Lights is the best show on TV. Watch season one for free here.